October 5, 2020
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act was passed on March 27, 2020, to address unmet financial and health needs arising from the COVID-19 pandemic. Among its provisions, the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) awarded funds to institutions of higher education to address costs and financial needs arising from the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus. Each institution must use no less than 50 percent of funds received under Sections 18004(a)(1) and 18004(c) of the CARES Act to provide direct, emergency financial aid grants to students.
The University of Central Florida completed and returned the Certification and Agreement Form for the CARES Act funding for student emergency grant relief on April 11, 2020. UCF acknowledges and certifies that no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act will be used to provide emergency financial aid grants to students. UCF submitted the CARES Act 30-Day Report May 23, 2020.
Additional “bonus” CARES grant fund application cycle were completed on 9/23/20 and the university assessed eligibility for CARES Act emergency grant funding. Specifically:
- 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 FAFSA on file
- Degree seeking and enrolled in Spring 2020 and/or Summer 2020 classes
- Not enrolled in an exclusively online program
- Not an international or undocumented student
After awarding students who met the eligibility criteria outlined above, $2.5 institutional CARES funding was transferred to be used for student CARES awards. These funds were directed to students who received an initial CARES Act award, were enrolled for both the Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 terms, who continued to meet CARES and federal financial aid eligibility requirements, and non Pell-eligible. Non Pell-eligible students included undergraduate, graduate, and medical school students which totaled 3,649 students.
The instructions informed students of eligibility requirements for receipt of CARES Act emergency aid grants, including financial aid eligibility. Email notifications (approvals/denials) have been sent to students. Students were provided information and instructions here.
CARES Act Updates
- Quarterly Institutional Report (October 30, 2020)
- September CARES Act Update (September 22, 2020)
- Second CARES Act 45-Day Report (August 21, 2020)
- August CARES Act Update (August 19, 2020)
- Awarding of Round 2 of CARES Act Funds Underway (July 23, 2020)
- CARES Act 45-Day Report (July 7, 2020)
- CARES Act Application Open Through July 5 (July 1, 2020)
- CARES Act Application Opens Today (June 24, 2020)