Faculty members may hold their office hours online, in person, or a combination of both. Please consider what works best for your students.
Interim Provost Michael Johnson has asked faculty to refrain from requiring attendance during the first few weeks of the spring semester so ill students don’t feel compelled to come to class. Attendance policies should be relaxed as much as possible without compromising the learning objectives of the course. During this time, faculty are encouraged to make an extra effort to make course information available to absent students so they can remain in their courses. The current COVID-19 wave is expected to last weeks, not months, so it is hoped that this will be a short-term request and that regular attendance policies can take effect later in the semester.
Yes. For faculty who are teaching a face-to-face course, you will be notified if a student will be unable to attend class due to COVID. UCF’s public health professionals also determine whether other steps are needed in your class. For example, if contact tracers see a pattern of positive tests in your class, they may determine that the class needs to meet remotely for a time. Faculty may not move to remote teaching on their own, based on reports of illness.
- Tell them to call the UCF COVID Line.
- When the student calls the COVID Line that begins a process through which you will be
notified by Jana Jasinski that the student may be away from your in-person class
temporarily. You only need to work with the student so they may continue in the class.
- If you have concerns about a student not calling the COVID Line, you may call to provide
the student’s name to COVID Line nurses
- Please do not tell or advise your entire class to contact the COVID Line.
As a faculty member, if you test positive or have symptoms:
- Stay home.
- Call the UCF COVID Line at 407-823-2509 if you test positive.
- Notify your chair.
- If you are ill, take sick leave. Work with your chair to arrange substitute instruction or
- If you feel well, your class may be temporarily remote until you are cleared to come
back. Your chair will email Jana Jasinski, and you will be notified of the decision.