The UCF women’s tennis team defeated visiting Michigan State at the UCF Tennis Complex Friday, 5-2. The Knights (4-7) swept Michigan State (7-3) in doubles on their way to their first win over a Big 10 school in the 2012 season.
Women’s tennis head coach Stephanie Nickitas was pleased with how her team played and stressed they’re constantly improving. “It was a solid win today,” Nickitas said. “We played very well in doubles which gave us momentum heading into singles play. ”
The Knights swept the Spartans in doubles matches on the day. The afternoon featured Taylor Dubins and Andrea Yacaman not allowing a game in their 8-0 win over Dana Guentert and Hilary Hager at No. 3. Teams of Jenna Doerfler and Courtney Griffith along with the duo of Genevieve Lorbergs and Alexis Rodriguez posted impressive wins, with both pairs not allowing more than three games in each of their matches.
With a 1-0 team lead, UCF used three straight-set singles victories to seal the triumph over MSU. At No. 1, Lorbergs prevailed with a 6-2, 6-3 decision against Nicole Herzog. Meanwhile, Doerfler posted a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 3 against Marina Bohrer, and Dubins defeated Michaela Silesova at No. 4, 6-3, 6-3.
Completing the 5-2 overall team win, Rodriguez topped Olga Chernova in impressive fashion in a super tiebreaker, 6-3, 2-6, 1-0(18-16).
When asked about how her team improved in singles matches over the last few weeks, Nickitas stressed maintaining a level head and remaining poised.
“We’re playing more consistently,” Nickitas said. “The key is to remain consistent and keep our momentum going for the rest of the season.”
The Black and Gold faces No. 3 Duke on March 9 at the UCF Tennis Complex. The match vs. the Blue Devils marks the fifth top-20 opponent in UCF’s first 12 matches of the season. Admission is free with the contest starting at 2 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Michigan State vs UCF, 3/2/2012 at Orlando, Fla.
UCF 5, Michigan State 2
- Genevieve Lorbergs (UCF) def. Nicole Herzog (MSU) 6-2, 6-3
- Alexis Rodriguez (UCF) def. Olga Chernova (MSU) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (18-16)
- Jenna Doerfler (UCF) def. Marina Bohrer (MSU) 6-2, 6-4
- Taylor Dubins (UCF) def. Michaela Silesova (MSU) 6-3, 6-3
- Katarina Lingl (MSU) def. Josephine Haraldson (UCF) 6-4, 6-1
- Dana Guentert (MSU) def. Andrea Yacaman (UCF) 6-4, 3-6, 4-3, retired
- Genevieve Lorbergs/Alexis Rodriguez (UCF) def. Nicole Herzog/Katarina Lingl (MSU) 8-2
- Jenna Doerfler/Courtney Griffith (UCF) def. Marina Bohrer/Michaela Silesova (MSU) 8-3
- Taylor Dubins/Andrea Yacaman (UCF) def. Dana Guentert/Hilary Hager (MSU) 8-0