By this time, you should have received a notification from the Florida Department of Education Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) regarding the changes to the Bright Futures Scholarship Program, which are a result of the 2009 Florida Legislative Session. These changes are effective beginning fall semester of the 2009-2010 academic year.
- Award amounts are based on the four-year university rates:
- Florida Academic Scholars Award – $126.00 per credit hour
- Florida Medallion Scholars Award – $ 95.00 per credit hour
- Florida Gold Seal Scholars Award – $ 95.00 per credit hour
- Academic Top Scholars Award – $ 54.00 per credit hour
- Florida Academic Scholars will no longer receive a college-related expense allowance.
- Bright Futures awards will be recalculated (reduced) for courses that are dropped or withdrawn after the add/drop period has ended each semester. The award amount for all withdrawn/dropped classes must be repaid.
- Changes in Bright Futures Renewal Requirements:
- Students with unpaid recalculated award amounts due to course(s) that were dropped or withdrawn will not be eligible to renew.
- Full-time students must earn 24 semester hours per academic year (part-time enrollment will be prorated accordingly).
- Allows students who lose their award due to hours to restore it.
- Prohibits the switching of Florida Gold Seal Vocational awards to Florida Medallion awards.
For more information about these changes, you may visit the Florida Department of Education Office of Student Financial Assistance’s Web site.
For other information about Bright Futures, please visit the UCF Office of Student Financial Assistance.
UCF Office of Student Financial Assistance