- College of Sciences
- Film & Mass Media
Nicholson School of Communication and Media
NSCM, Room: 238
Dr. William Kinnally
Nicholson Academic Student Services Center (NASSC)
- The Radio-Television program is a limited access program that requires a separate application.
- Students should apply to become Radio-Television majors only after completing all requirements for admission.
- Attain an overall minimum 2.25/4.00 GPA based on a minimum of 30 credit hours of college work. Note: meeting the minimum GPA does not guarantee admission since students are admitted on a space available basis. The GPA cut-off varies each term with the quality of applicants, and during previous years, ranged upward from a minimum of 2.9.
- Receive a positive evaluation of other factors specified by the Nicholson School of Communication and Media.
- See an NASSC advisor for additional admission criteria.
- For admission to the program, students must complete or be enrolled into and complete, RTV 3007 with at least a “C” (2.0) or better (if in progress at the time of admission, students who do not earn a “C” (2.0) or better will be removed from the program).
- Students must be in good academic standing.
- Meet a grammar proficiency standard (“B” (3.0) grades or better in the following courses or pass the grammar proficiency exam).
- ENC 1101 – Composition I Credit Hours: 3
- ENC 1102 – Composition II Credit Hours: 3
- October 1 to be admitted the next spring term;
- February 1 to be admitted the next summer term;
- June 1 to be admitted the next fall term.
- Students must achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all UCF Nicholson School of Communication and Media (NSCM) courses taken in the major.
- All attempts of UCF NSCM courses that could meet major requirements are included in the major GPA calculation, including those taken beyond the minimum required (e.g. additional restricted electives).
- Students who change degree programs (other than from Radio-TV Pending) and select this major must adopt the most current catalog.
- Students may complete an internship off campus in a professional broadcast, production, or corporate operation with advisor’s approval.
- Internship credit may be used in this major with prior school permission.
- Co-op credit may be used in this major with prior approval from an R-TV advisor.
- Students must consult with a school advisor.
- School residency requirement consists of at least 24 semester hours of regularly scheduled 3000-4000 level courses taken from the UCF Nicholson School of Communication & Media.
- Of the 120 hours required for graduation, 72 hours must be taken outside of the disciplines of Communication and Media Studies (Radio-TV and Journalism) represented within the Nicholson School of Communication and Media. Of these 72 hours, 54 must be taken in the liberal arts (i.e. within the College of Arts & Humanities or the College of Sciences). Film and Digital Media courses will be permitted as liberal arts courses.
- Radio-TV majors must select their required minor from outside the Mass Media (RTV and JOU) programs to remain below the 48 credit hour school maximum.
- Students seeking to change tracks from Media Management and Operations to Production once accepted into the major, must re-apply to the R-TV major under the Production track.
- A maximum of three credit hours of internship may be earned in one semester. Internship credit, plus all other hours taken within the school, must not exceed 48 hours.
- To receive credit for an internship, students must have a 2.5 GPA in their required major courses. Students with less than a 2.5 GPA will not be given academic internship credit.
- A maximum of three credit hours of internship may be earned within the 46 credit hour school maximum within the 120 credit hours required for graduation. A maximum of six credit hours of internship may be earned within the 120 credit hours required for graduation. Summer internships are available during “C” term only.
- All prerequisites of courses taught within the College of Sciences will be enforced.
- Courses designated in 1 (General Ed Program) and 2 (Common Program Prerequisites) are usually completed in the first 60 hours.
Tuition and Fees
$212.28 per credit hour
The approximate tuition cost for one year in this program at UCF based on a full time schedule (30 credit hours per year)