The Federal Grad PLUS Loan is a credit based federal loan for graduate students. Interest that accrues on the loan is not subsidized by the federal government. For interest rates, please refer to the Federal Student Aid Interest Rates website and the Loan Comparison Chart. Repayment can be deferred while the student is enrolled in school for at least half-time.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet federal eligibility requirements of U.S. citizenship or eligible non-citizenship status.
- Be degree-seeking in a graduate program at UCF.
- Be enrolled at least half-time in UCF graduate classes per semester that count toward your degree completion. At time of disbursement, you must be attending at least half-time.
- Masters, Specialists, and Doctoral students – minimum of 4.5 hours fall or spring, 3 hours in summer
- Master’s thesis students – minimum of 3 thesis hours in all semesters
- Doctoral dissertation students – minimum of 3 dissertation hours in all semesters.
- Complete verification (if selected) and any outstanding documents found on the myUCF To-Do List.
- If in receipt of a Federal Grad PLUS Loan during this academic year at another institution, make sure that the remainder of that loan is canceled before applying for a loan at UCF.
- Understand that total aid cannot exceed the cost of attendance. Other aid (Scholarships, fellowships, waivers, etc.) affects financial aid eligibility.
- Meet the standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
- Complete the online Grad PLUS Entrance Counseling if this is your first Grad PLUS Loan at UCF.
How to Apply for the Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan
File the FAFSA using school code 003954. UCF’s priority date for filing the FAFSA is December 1st.
Complete the Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan application within 90 days of each semester.*
Complete the online Grad PLUS Master Promissory Note if this is your first time borrowing a Grad PLUS loan at UCF, OR if you had an endorser on your previous loan.**
Complete the online Grad PLUS Entrance Counseling if this is your first time borrowing a loan at UCF.
The U.S. Department of Education will conduct a credit check.
We begin processing Grad PLUS Loans after the Drop/Swap & Add period.
If you’re not ready to apply for federal student aid, but you’d like to estimate your aid, check out FAFSA4caster. The FAFSA4caster is an early eligibility estimator that can help you plan ahead when it comes to paying for college.
*PLUS Loan Award Year
On Section 2 of the loan application, you must select the appropriate Award Year that corresponds with the loan period for which you are applying. If the Award Year does not correspond to the appropriate Loan Period dates, your loan will not be awarded.
|Loan Period||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall 2021 & Spring 2022||8/23/21||5/03/22|
|Loan Period||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall 2022 & Spring 2023||8/22/22||5/02/23|
**Grad PLUS Master Promissory Note
The Stafford Master Promissory Note and Grad PLUS Master Promissory Note are NOT the same. You must complete a separate Grad PLUS Master Promissory note to fulfill the eligibility criteria for Grad PLUS Loan program.
Grad PLUS Loan Denials & Counseling
If your credit has been denied for the Grad PLUS Loan, you will be given options on the Direct Loan application to choose from:
I will obtain an endorser.*
- Choose this option if you would like to add a co-signer.
- Students should notify the SFA Loan Department in order for the Grad PLUS loan to be awarded if your credit is approved with an endorser.
- Borrowers who required an endorser for approval of the Grad PLUS loan must sign a new MPN for any supplemental or future Grad PLUS loan.
- Borrowers whose Direct Grad PLUS Loan credit checks are denied on or after March 29th, 2015 and then approved an endorser, must also complete a PLUS Counseling before the Direct Grad PLUS Loan can be disbursed. The U.S. Department of Education will notify the borrower about the PLUS Counseling instructions**.
I want to appeal the credit decision.*
- Choose this option if you believe the credit check is inaccurate or you can provide updated information about extenuating circumstances.
- Students should notify the SFA Loan Department in order for the Grad PLUS loan to be awarded if your appeal has been approved.
- Borrowers whose Direct Grad PLUS Loan credit checks are denied on or after March 29th, 2015 and then approved through a credit appeal, must complete a PLUS Counseling before the Direct PLUS Loan can be disbursed. The U.S. Department of Education will notify the borrower about the PLUS Counseling instructions**.
*For instructions on how to appeal or how to reapply using an endorser, please contact the Department of Education’s Applicant Services at 1-800-557-7394.
PLUS Counseling is required if the U.S. Department of Education has informed you that you have an adverse credit history and you have obtained an endorser or documented to the satisfaction of the U.S. Department of Education that there are extenuating circumstances related to your adverse credit history.
PLUS Counseling can be completed voluntarily at any time. If PLUS Counseling is completed voluntarily and you are determined to have an adverse credit history by the U.S. Department of Education within 30 days of PLUS Counseling completion, your PLUS Counseling requirement will be considered to be fulfilled.
The Department of Education will email the borrower instructions on how to complete the PLUS Counseling. However, borrowers may also access the PLUS Counseling after they login by selecting PLUS Counseling from the menu, then selecting Parent PLUS to complete the counseling.
Information for Grad PLUS Loan Recipients
Disbursement of Loan
Disbursement of financial aid is the process in which financial aid awards (scholarships, grants, loans, etc.) are posted to the student’s account. As this process takes place, students may see changes to their anticipated aid, awards, and charges. Learn more about loan disbursements.
Loan Adjustment and Reinstatement
The online Loan Adjustment Request form is available at the start of each semester up until the adjustment/reinstatement deadline.
If you would like your PLUS loan eligibility reviewed for either an increase or reinstatement, you may submit an online Loan Adjustment Request Form by the deadlines listed.
2022-2023 Award Year Deadlines
|Loan Period||Adjustment / Reinstatement Deadline|