Health Care Informatics, P.S.M.
- Program Type:
- Online Master
- College of Health and Public Affairs
The Department of Health Management and Informatics offers this Professional Science Master’s Program in Health Care Informatics, a program designed to meet the growing demand for highly trained health care informatics professionals.
The Health Care Informatics program is unique in that it focuses on providing students with a thorough grounding in the clinical, management and business aspects of the health informatics field.
The program is offered online in a distance-learning cohort format to offer access and convenience to working professionals. Applications and admissions are accepted twice a year for fall and spring terms. Students with professional experience in health care, new graduates from any bachelor degree program and students seeking career changes to the health care industry are all encouraged to apply.
The Division of Continuing Education will handle course enrollment for each semester once you have been admitted to the program and you have processed your acceptance through Graduate Studies.
In addition to the general UCF graduate admissions requirements, applicants must provide:
- One sealed transcript from each university/college attended.
- Goal statement indicating how the Health Care Informatics M.S. program will enhance career goals.
- Resume (no longer than two pages).
Program of Study: 38 Credit Hours
There are no prerequisites required for the program. However, we strongly suggest taking courses in statistics and a writing course. Also, students without the necessary professional or educational experience are required to take three foundational courses in health services administration, health information management, and medical terminology. These courses are to be completed during your enrollment in the MS-HCI program.
- HIM 6007: Survey of Health Information Management (1 credit hour)
- HIM 6267: Foundation of Health Services Administration (1 credit hour)
- HIM 6477: Medical Terminology for Informatics Professionals (1 credit hour)
Required Courses: 38 Credit Hours
- HIM 5118C: Health Care Informatics and Information Technology (4 credit hours)
- HIM 6119C: Biostatistics and Decision Analysis ( 4 credit hours)
- HIM 6122C: System Analysis and Design (4 credit hours)
- HIM 6123C: Project Management in Health Care Informatics (4 credit hours)
- HIM 6217C: Health Care Database Management (4 credit hours)
- HIM 6124C: Health Care Data Architecture and Modeling (4 credit hours)
- HIM 6464C: Epidemiology, Analytics and Quality Management (4 credit hours)
- HIM 6125: Health Care Informatics Capstone (3 credit hours)
- HIM 6121C: Privacy and Security in Health Care Informatics (4 credit hours)
- HIM 6947: Health Care Informatics Internship (3 credit hours)
*Please note that course numbers are subject to change
For additional information contact:
Kendall H. Cortelyou-Ward, Ph.D.
Program Director, Health Care Informatics Master’s Program
Hannah Nguyen, MHSA
Coordinator, Academic Support Services
Masters of Science in Health Care Informatics
Master of Science in Executive Health Services Administration
Department of Health Management & Informatics
Due to restrictive state regulations, UCF is not permitted to provide online courses or instruction to students in some states. More information is available here.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition Per Credit
For a description of fees, please visit http://tuitionfees.ikm.ucf.edu
UCF does not accept the State or UCF Employee tuition waiver for this program. Learn more about tuition waivers at UCF or contact the program if you have additional questions about this online degree.
Career OpportunitiesShow the full list
- chief medical information officer
- clinical researcher
- computer information systems manager
- electronic medical record keeper
- health care IT project manager
- health informatics consultant
- health informatics director
- health information manager
- medical biller/coder
- medical records administrator
- nursing informatics specialist