EDUCATION: PRE-KINDERGARTEN-PRIMARY (PK-3) TRACK Early Childhood Development and Education majors take a variety of courses related to young children and their learning, development, and family environment. Students in the Education: Pre-Kindergarten-Primary (Pre-K-3rd) Track are working toward teacher certification in Pre-Kindergarten-Primary (PK-3) with ESOL Endorsement and Reading Endorsement. Students in this track take a series of core and specialization courses to prepare them to teach in the schools and to demonstrate mastery of the Florida Educator Accomplished Practices (FEAP). Early and continuous field experiences are provided to enhance the students in this track with an integration of theory and practice in school settings. This degree culminates in a semester-long internship.
This Pre-Kindergarten-Primary (PK-3) track has potential ties to professional licensure or certification in the field. For more information on how this program may prepare you in that regard, please visit https://apq.ucf.edu/files/Licensure-Disclosure-CCIE-Early-Childhood-PK3-BS-June2020.pdf
- Complete the University General Education requirements or its equivalent, i.e. an AA degree from an approved Florida College System or State University System institution.
- Have a minimum 2.75 overall GPA, with provisional acceptance for one semester if GPA is 2.5 (GPA must be 2.75 by the second semester).
- Complete all Education Common Program Prerequisite courses with a minimum grade of "C" (2.0) or better.
- Pass all four parts of the General Knowledge Test.
- Meet the Gordon Rule Requirement.
- Meet Foreign Language Admission Requirement.
- Students must seek advising through the Early Childhood Development and Education staff in the Education Complex, Suite 122 or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to registering for classes.
- The courses designated in 1. (General Education) and 2. (Education Common Program Prerequisites) should be completed prior to admission to the major and upper division education courses.
- Students must earn a "C" (2.0) or better in each required Early Childhood Development and Education course. However, a minimum overall 2.75 GPA in all courses within the major is required.
- Passing scores on ALL three sections of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE). See http://www.fldoe.org for available test dates and test sites. FTCE General Knowledge Test (GKT)-passing scores on the GKT is required prior to admission to the major. FTCE Professional Education Test (PEd) and Subject Area Examination (SAE-Prekindergarten/Primary PK-3) are required prior to entry into Internship.
- FTCE General Knowledge Test (GKT) - passing scores on the GKT are strongly recommended prior to semester 1 of the junior year and required for admission into the Early Childhood Development and Education, Track 1-Education: Pre-Kindergarten-Primary (Pre-K-3rd).
- FTCE Professional Education Test (PEd) and Subject Area Examination (SAE-Prekindergarten/Primary PK-3) are required prior to entry into Internship.
- This is a state-approved, initial teacher preparation program designed in compliance with Florida Statutes and State Board of Education Rule 6A-5.066. Degree requirements are subject to change based on state mandates.
Undergraduate Application Deadlines
- May 1
- November 1
- March 1
- July 1
- November 1
- March 1
- March 1
- September 1
- January 1
Ready to get started?
- Bilingual Kindergarten Teacher
- Early Childhood Teacher
- Head Start Teacher
- Kindergarten Teacher
- Nursery School Teacher
- Nursery Teacher
- Pre-K Teacher
- Pre-Kindergarten Teacher
- Preschool Teacher