Program at a Glance
- College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Materials Sci & Engineering
- Students who wish to declare their major in Materials Science and Engineering must be in good academic standing and must have a grade of "C" (2.0) or better in each of the following courses or their equivalents: MAC 2311, MAC 2312, CHM 2045C, and PHY 2048C.
- The Materials Science and Engineering Department requires all students in the Materials Science and Engineering Major to earn a "C" (2.0) or better in the following sections: Section 2: Common Program Pre-requisites (CPP), Section 3: Core Requirements Basic Level, Section 4: Core Requirements - Advanced Level, Section 5: Restricted / Approved Technical Electives, and Section 6: Capstone Requirement.
- Students in the Materials Science and Engineering major are expected to make consistent good progress toward their degrees to remain enrolled in, or eligible for, any major in the College of Engineering & Computer Science (CECS) or the College of Optics and Photonics (COP). Therefore, any student majoring in Materials Science and Engineering who repeats any UCF course and does not earn a grade of "C" (2.0) or better on the second attempt will be placed on Lack of Progress Probation and remain on Lack of Progress Probation as long as the student is enrolled in a CECS or COP major. If a student on Lack of Progress Probation does not receive a grade of "C" (2.0) or better by the third attempt in the same UCF course, the student will be excluded from all CECS and COP majors. Any student majoring in Materials Science and Engineering who has accumulated 7 or more unsuccessful attempts (i.e., grades below "C" (2.0) and withdrawals) over all courses taken at UCF will be placed on Lack of Progress Probation and remain on Lack of Progress Probation as long as the student is enrolled in a CECS or COP major. If a student on Lack of Progress Probation has a tenth unsuccessful attempt over all courses taken at UCF, the student will be excluded from all CECS and COP majors.
- A student who is excluded from CECS and COP majors may seek readmission to a major in CECS or COP after at least one full year has passed since exclusion. Readmission is not automatic and is dependent upon a high probability of success after readmission. Any student who is readmitted to the Civil Engineering major will be subject to all probation conditions that applied at the time of exclusion.
This program has potential ties to professional licensure or certification in the field. For more information on how this program may prepare you in that regard, please view the licensure disclosure for the Materials Science and Engineering (B.S.M.S.E.) program.
Undergraduate Application Deadlines
- May 1
- November 1
- March 1
- July 1
- November 1
- March 1
- March 1
- September 1
- January 1
Ready to get started?
UCF prepares you for life beyond the classroom. Here, you’ll experience a wide range of opportunity, like learning diverse skills from world-renowned faculty to networking with top employers across Central Florida to gaining first-hand experience in internships nearby. Achieve your degree and more as a Knight.
- Aeronautical Engineering Professor
- Chemical Engineering Professor
- Electrical Engineering Director
- Electrical Engineering Professor
- Electronics Engineering Professor
- Industrial Engineering Professor
- Manufacturing Engineering Professor
- Mechanical Engineering Director
- Mechanical Engineering Professor