- College of Sciences
Dr. Elena Flitsiyan
Physics majors can select from two curricular options: a B.A. or B.S. in Physics. The B.A. gives students the flexibility to combine physics with another focus area in an interdisciplinary program, in particular Physics Education, Nanoscale Science and Technology, Biophysics, Information Technology/Data Science, Technical Writing.
- Students who change degree programs and select this major must adopt the most current catalog.
- Grades below “C” (2.0) in any required physics or mathematics courses are not acceptable; they must be repeated with a higher grade.
- Students must achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all courses taken that could meet major requirements. All attempts that could meet requirements are included in the major GPA calculation. All attempts of courses listed for the major taken beyond the minimum required are included in the GPA calculation (e.g., additional restricted electives).
- The Departmental Residency Requirement consists of at least 15 semester hours of regularly scheduled 3000-4000 level courses taken from the UCF Department of Physics.
- Physics majors are discouraged from taking courses as a transient student at a Florida College System institution, except in situations where one semester of a two semester sequence has already been taken at the Florida College System institution.
- All prerequisites of courses taught within the College of Sciences will be enforced.
- Courses designated in 2 (Common Program Prerequisites) are usually completed in the first sixty hours.
- Upon reaching junior standing (60 hours), Physics majors are expected to have completed the following courses and associated chemistry laboratories. These classes are prerequisites for advanced science classes and students entering the major without these classes will be unable to register for most of the advanced courses.
- CHM 2045C – Chemistry Fundamentals I Credit Hours: 4
- CHM 2046 – Chemistry Fundamentals II Credit Hours: 3
- CHM 2046L – Chemistry Fundamentals Laboratory Credit Hours: 1
- MAC 2311C – Calculus with Analytic Geometry I Credit Hours: 4
- MAC 2312 – Calculus with Analytic Geometry II Credit Hours: 4
- 1 PHY 2048C – General Physics Using Calculus I Credit Hours: 4
- 2 PHY 2049C – General Physics Using Calculus II Credit Hours: 4
1 With Department permission this course can be substituted by PHY 2053C.
2 With Departmental permission, this course can be substituted by PHY 2054C.
Tuition and Fees
$212.28 per credit hour
The approximate tuition cost for one year in this program at UCF based on a full time schedule (30 credit hours per year)