Physics majors can select from two curricular options: a B.A. or B.S. in Physics. The B.A. gives students the flexibility to combine physics with another focus area in an interdisciplinary program, in particular Physics Education, Biophysics, Information Technology/Data Science, or Technical Writing.
- Students who change degree programs and select this major must adopt the most current catalog.
- Grades below "C" (2.0) in any required physics or mathematics courses are not acceptable; they must be repeated with a higher grade.
- Students must achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all courses taken that could meet major requirements. All attempts that could meet requirements are included in the major GPA calculation. All attempts of courses listed for the major taken beyond the minimum required are included in the GPA calculation (e.g., additional restricted electives).
- The Departmental Residency Requirement consists of at least 15 semester hours of regularly scheduled 3000-4000 level courses taken from the UCF Department of Physics.
- Physics majors are discouraged from taking courses as a transient student at a Florida College System institution, except in situations where one semester of a two semester sequence has already been taken at the Florida College System institution.
- All prerequisites of courses taught within the College of Sciences will be enforced.
- Courses designated in 2 (Common Program Prerequisites) are usually completed in the first sixty hours.
- Upon reaching junior standing (60 hours), Physics majors are expected to have completed the following courses and associated chemistry laboratories. These classes are prerequisites for advanced science classes and students entering the major without these classes will be unable to register for most of the advanced courses.
- CHM 2045C - Chemistry Fundamentals I Credit Hours: 4
- CHM 2046 - Chemistry Fundamentals II Credit Hours: 3
- CHM 2046L - Chemistry Fundamentals Laboratory Credit Hours: 1
- MAC 2311C - Calculus with Analytic Geometry I Credit Hours: 4
- MAC 2312 - Calculus with Analytic Geometry II Credit Hours: 4
- 1 PHY 2048C - General Physics Using Calculus I (or PHY 2048 and PHY 2048L) Credit Hours: 4
- 2 PHY 2049C - General Physics Using Calculus II (or PHY 2049 and PHY 2049L) Credit Hours: 4
1 With Department permission this course can be substituted by PHY 2053C (or PHY 2053 and PHY 2053L).
2 With Departmental permission, this course can be substituted by PHY 2054C (or PHY 2054 and PHY 2054L).
Undergraduate Application Deadlines
- May 1
- November 1
- March 1
- July 1
- November 1
- March 1
- March 1
- September 1
- January 1
Ready to get started?
- Aerodynamics Professor
- Agricultural Research Director
- Astrophysics Professor
- Fluid Dynamicist
- Geochemical Manager
- Geophysical Manager
- Health Physicist
- High School Biology Teacher
- High School English Teacher
- High School French Teacher
- High School History Teacher
- High School Music Director
- Medical Physicist
- Medical Physics Professor
- Nuclear Physicist
- Nuclear Physics Professor
- Ocean Program Administrator
- Optical Scientist