The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program in the Adult/Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Track prepares nurses at the highest level of practice for the current health care environment based on a strong scientific foundation for practice; flexibility and emphasis on evidence-based practice, leadership, and organizational analysis; and analysis of the DNP project.
The objectives of the DNP program are to prepare graduates to:
- Critically analyze complex clinical situations and practice systems and disseminate findings
- Assume leadership roles in the development of clinical practice models, health policy and standards of care.
- Develop practice models that support diagnostic reasoning skills and clinical judgment through the use of the evidence-based practice.
- Analyze the social, economic, political, epidemiological and other scientific data to improve individual, aggregate and population health.
- Demonstrate information fluency and advanced communication skills to lead quality improvement initiatives to improve patient care and healthcare systems.
- Design, implement, and evaluate comprehensive care models for populations and/or systems and disseminate finding.
The DNP Adult/Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner track requires a minimum of 72 credit hours beyond the baccalaureate degree. The curriculum includes 39 credits of core courses shared with other DNP tracks, 14 credits of APN core and 19 credits of specialty courses. A total of 1,080 practicum hours are required to earn the DNP. The program prepares nurses at the entry level for advanced practice for the current healthcare system based on a strong scientific foundation for practice; offers flexibility and emphasis on evidence-based practice, leadership and organizational analysis; and provides analytic, critical thinking and diagnostic reasoning skills to examine practice innovations involving completion of the residency project during the clinical residency courses. Details about this program are located in the Advanced Practice DNP Adult-Gerontology DNP Handbook.
Total Credit Hours Required: 72 Credit Hours Minimum beyond the Bachelor's Degree
- February 1
- January 15
Ready to get started?
- Adult Nurse Practitioner
- Advanced Nursing Professor
- Certified Nurse Practitioner
- Clinic Director
- Electrophysiology Nurse Practitioner
- Emergency Medicine Nurse Practitioner
- Emergency Room RN
- Endoscopy Registered Nurse
- Family Health Nurse Practitioner
- Health Services Administrator
- Hospice Director
- Hospice Registered Nurse
- Medical Records Administrator
- Neurosurgical Nurse Practitioner
- Nurse Practitioner
- Nursing Service Director
- Oncology Registered Nurse
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
- Registered Nurse
- Triage Registered Nurse