Visual Arts Building (VAB) 117
The Emerging Media BFA allows students to integrate multiple domains of art, design, storytelling, and technology in one of the three portfolio reviewed tracks, Character Animation, Experimental Animation or Graphic Design. The program is designed to provide: a solid foundation in techniques and theory in one of the listed tracks; a broad understanding of related disciplines including arts, humanities, and technology; an extended experience in working in multidisciplinary teams on realistic problems. The program is administered through the School of Visual Arts and Design.
The Graphic Design track educates students in the art and science of visual communication, stressing the professional aspects of design. Students combine technology with aesthetics in the production of typographic and publication design, branding and identity systems, packaging, film and broadcast graphics, posters, interactive and UI/UX design.
As part of the program, some courses study the form and proportion of the human figure. Nude models are used as reference.
- Admission into the Graphic Design track requires successful completion of the Graphic Design Portfolio review. The Graphic Design portfolio review process is held in the Spring semester. Graphic Design portfolio information can be found at: https://svad.cah.ucf.edu/graphic-design-portfolio/.
- Students who do not pass the Graphic Design Portfolio review should contact SVAD Advising ([email protected]) to discuss options.
- Note: One-on-one portfolio reviews are not possible due to the large number of received portfolios.
- Students who change degree programs and select this major must adopt the most current catalog by filing a catalog year change with their degree change form.
- Departmental Residency Requirement consists of at least 36 semester hours of regularly scheduled 3000-4000 level courses taken from the UCF School of Visual Arts and Design.
- Students must earn at least a "C" (2.0) in each required course except DIG 2000, which requires a "B" (3.0) or better.
- BFA students must achieve a 3.0 GPA in all major requirements.
- Co-op credit cannot be used in this major.
- Students should consult with their SVAD advisor each semester.
- Note: Emerging Media majors must have continual access to a computer. Contact the UCF Technology Product Center or see the website (http://tpc.ucf.edu) for the minimum hardware and software specifications.
- No more than 6 hours of overlap allowed between courses used in the Emerging Media BFA and any minor. Please see SVAD advising for permission to complete more than one major in SVAD. Certain restrictions apply and plan of study must be pre-approved.
Undergraduate Application Deadlines
- May 1
- November 1
- March 1
- July 1
- November 1
- March 1
- March 1
- September 1
- January 1
Ready to get started?
- 3D Animator
- Aerial Photographer
- Ballet Professor
- Catalogue Illustrator
- Graphic Artist
- Graphic Design Professor
- Graphic Designer
- Magazine Designer
- Medical Photographer
- Multimedia Artist
- Music Professor
- Photography Professor
- Portrait Photographer
- Scene and Lighting Design Lecturer
- Stagecraft Professor
- Tattoo Artist
- Voice Professor
- Wedding Photographer