The Doctor of Philosophy program in Nursing is designed to prepare students for positions as nursing faculty members, leaders in the application of innovative technologies to nursing education and clinical care, executive leaders in healthcare systems, and scientists who contribute to the body of nursing knowledge through their research. The BSN to PhD track is designed to support students in completing the PhD in a timely fashion to provide for a longer research career.
The PhD in Nursing program prepares nurse scholars to possess a body of knowledge about theory, processes, and methods of inquiry in the discipline of nursing. The program allows students to contribute to disciplinary and interdisciplinary knowledge in nursing and healthcare on the basis of sound conceptual, methodological, and ethical decision-making. Students in the BSN to PhD track will have focused support in grant writing for programs such as the National Research Service Award (NRSA). Although courses will be offered online, students are expected to actively engage in research activities with faculty, which may require on-campus time.
At the completion of the PhD in Nursing Program, graduates will be able to:
- Conduct research to generate a body of knowledge and test theories that advance nursing science.
- Develop a program of scholarship that integrates research, teaching, leadership, and service to the profession.
- Contribute to interdisciplinary solutions that advance health care in a global society.
International students (F or J visa) are required to enroll in a full-time course load of 9 credit hours during the fall and spring semesters. Only 3 of the 9 credit hours may be taken in a completely online format. For a detailed listing of enrollment requirements for international students, please visit http://global.ucf.edu/. If you have questions, please consult UCF Global at 407-823-2337.
UCF is not authorized to provide online courses or instruction to students in some states. Refer to State Restrictions for current information.
- April 1
- January 15
Ready to get started?
- Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
- Advanced Nursing Professor
- CCU Nurse
- Cardiology Nurse Practitioner
- Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Clinical Nursing Instructor
- Community Health Nurse
- Endoscopy Registered Nurse
- Gastroenterology Nurse Practitioner
- Gerontological Nurse Practitioner
- Internal Medicine Nurse Practitioner
- Neurosurgical Nurse Practitioner
- Oncology Registered Nurse
- Orthopedic Nurse Practitioner
- PACU Nurse
- Pediatric Registered Nurse
- Psychiatric Nurse
- Registered Nurse
- Registered Nursing Professor