- College of Sciences
The Biology B.S. degree allows the student to choose coursework to be awarded the general Biology B.S. degree or to select a track in one of five areas, which are:- Ecology, Evolutionary and Conservation Biology- Marine and Aquatic Biology- Plant Sciences- Pre-Health Professional Biology- Zoology and Pre-Veterinarian ScienceThese tracks are designed to align students with specific courses that will prepare them for the job market or more advanced study.
- Students who change degree programs and select this major must adopt the most current catalog.
- No credit by exam (TSD, Military credit) may be used for the major.
- Co-op or internship credit cannot be used in this major
- Departmental Residency Requirement consists of at least 22 semester hours of regularly scheduled 3000-4000 level courses taken from the UCF Department of Biology.
- Students seeking a double major must satisfy the requirements for both majors and must take no fewer than 40 semester hours of upper division restricted elective course work appropriate to the combined areas of specialization in the two majors.
- Courses designated in Common Program Prerequisites and Core Requirements are usually completed in the first 60 hours.
- A “C” (2.0) or better is required in all Core Courses with a BSC or PCB prefix.
- Students must achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all UCF courses taken in the Common Program Prerequisites, the Biology Core and the Upper Division Restricted Electives.
- All prerequisites of courses taught within the College of Sciences will be enforced.
- No more than 4 hours of Independent Study, Directed Research, or the following similar types of credit, may be applied toward major requirements:
- BSC 4422L – Biology Laboratory Techniques Credit Hours: 1
- BSC 4937 – Instructional Experiences in Undergraduate Biology Credit Hours: 2
- Upon reaching junior standing (60 hours), Biology majors are expected to have completed the following courses and associated chemistry laboratories. These classes are prerequisites for advanced science classes and students entering the major without these classes will be unable to register for most of the advanced courses.
- BSC 2010C – Biology I Credit Hours: 4
- BSC 2011C – Biology II Credit Hours: 4
- CHM 2045C – Chemistry Fundamentals I Credit Hours: 4
- CHM 2046 – Chemistry Fundamentals II Credit Hours: 3
- CHM 2046L – Chemistry Fundamentals Laboratory Credit Hours: 1
- CHM 2210 – Organic Chemistry I Credit Hours: 3
- CHM 2211 – Organic Chemistry II Credit Hours: 3
- CHM 2211L – Organic Laboratory Techniques I Credit Hours: 2
- PHY 2053C – College Physics I Credit Hours: 4
- PHY 2054C – College Physics II Credit Hours: 4
Tuition and Fees
$212.28 per credit hour
The approximate tuition cost for one year in this program at UCF based on a full time schedule (30 credit hours per year)