The Doctor of Philosophy program in Nursing is designed to prepare students for positions as nursing faculty members, leaders in the application of innovative technologies to nursing education and clinical care, executive leaders in healthcare systems, and scientists who contribute to the body of nursing knowledge through their research.
The PhD in Nursing program prepares nurse scholars to possess a body of knowledge about theory, processes, and methods of inquiry in the discipline of nursing. The program allows students to contribute to disciplinary and interdisciplinary knowledge in nursing and healthcare on the basis of sound conceptual, methodological, and ethical decision-making.
At the completion of the PhD in Nursing Program, graduates will be able to:
- Conduct research to generate a body of knowledge and test theories that advance nursing science.
- Develop a program of scholarship that integrates research, teaching, leadership, and service to the profession.
- Contribute to interdisciplinary solutions that advance health care in a global society.
For the Nursing PhD, total graduate credit must equal or exceed 72 credit hours. Students take 39 credit hours of required courses that focus on foundation knowledge development and research methods, 15 dissertation credit hours, and 9 credit hours of electives allowing students to gain additional expertise in the area chosen for their dissertation. Details about this program are located in the Nursing PhD Handbook.
Total Credit Hours Required: 72 Credit Hours Minimum beyond the Bachelor's Degree
Please note: Nursing (PhD) may be completed fully online, although not all elective options or program prerequisites may be offered online. Newly admitted students choosing to complete this program exclusively via UCF online classes may enroll with a reduction in campus-based fees.
International students (F or J visa) are required to enroll in a full-time course load of 9 credit hours during the fall and spring semesters. Only 3 of the 9 credit hours may be taken in a completely online format. For a detailed listing of enrollment requirements for international students, please visit http://global.ucf.edu/. If you have questions, please consult UCF Global at 407-823-2337.
UCF is not authorized to provide online courses or instruction to students in some states. Refer to State Restrictions for current information.
- Certified Nurse Practitioner
- Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
- Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Clinical Nursing Professor
- Community Health Nurse
- Endoscopy Registered Nurse
- Gerontological Nurse Practitioner
- Internal Medicine Nurse Practitioner
- Neurosurgical Nurse Practitioner
- Nurse Practitioner
- Obstetrics-Gynecology Nurse Practitioner
- Palliative Care Nurse Practitioner
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
- Pediatric Registered Nurse
- Psychiatric Nurse
- Registered Nurse
- Surgical Nurse Practitioner