- College of Optics and Photonics
- Optics and Photonics
College of Optics and Photonics
CREOL, Room: 108B
The Bachelor of Science in Photonic Science and Engineering degree is designed to prepare the next generation of engineers for the growing optics and photonics industry, which has a broad set of applications including manufacturing, healthcare, telecommunication, defense, security, and entertainment. The program draws on UCF’s internationally recognized strengths in the field of optics and lasers and is matched to the strong photonics industry in Central Florida. The degree is offered jointly by the College of Optics and Photonics and the College of Engineering and Computer Science.
This program has potential ties to professional licensure or certification in the field. For more information on how this program may prepare you in that regard, please visit https://www.creol.ucf.edu/academics/undergrad/mission-educational-objectives-abet/.
- Students who wish to declare their major in Photonic Science and Engineering must be in good academic standing and must have a “C” (2.0) or better in each of the following courses or their equivalents: MAC 2311C, MAC 2312, PHY 2048C, and CHS 1440 or CHM 2045C.
- Majors in the B.S.P.S.E. degree are required to achieve a 2.250 or greater GPA for their engineering core courses, including STA 3032 and PHY 3101, together with the photonics courses required for the major, technical elective courses, and the senior design courses.
- Students in the Photonic Science and Engineering major are expected to make consistent good progress toward their degrees to remain enrolled in, or eligible for, any major in the College of Engineering and Computer Science (CECS) or the College of Optics and Photonics (COP). Therefore, any student majoring in Photonic Science and Engineering who repeats any UCF course and does not earn a grade of “C” (2.0) or better on the second attempt will be placed on Lack of Progress Probation and remain on Lack of Progress Probation as long as the student is enrolled in a CECS or COP major. If a student on Lack of Progress Probation does not receive a grade of “C” (2.0) or better by the third attempt in the same UCF course, the student will be excluded from all CECS and COP majors. Any student majoring in Photonic Science and Engineering who has accumulated 7 or more unsuccessful attempts (i.e., grades below “C” (2.0) and withdrawals) over all courses taken at UCF will be placed on Lack of Progress Probation and remain on Lack of Progress Probation as long as the student is enrolled in a CECS or COP major. If a student on Lack of Progress Probation has a tenth unsuccessful attempt over all courses taken at UCF, the student will be excluded from all CECS and COP majors.
- A student who is excluded from CECS and COP majors may seek readmission to a major in CECS or COP after at least one full year has passed since exclusion. Readmission is not automatic and is dependent upon a high probability of success after readmission. Any student who is readmitted to the Photonic Science and Engineering major will be subject to all probation conditions that applied at the time of exclusion.
- Students in the BSPSE Major must obtain a 2.0 or greater GPA in the following courses: EGN 3211, EEL 3004C, EEL 3123C, and MAP 2302
Tuition and Fees
$212.28 per credit hour
The approximate tuition cost for one year in this program at UCF based on a full time schedule (30 credit hours per year)